Friday, December 16, 2011

Potato Pancakes - Latkes

Pin It Now!

I am currently working on a "Top Five" project.  Potato Pancakes (Latkes) have a very warm spot in my heart.  I now make them every Christmas morning.  I was introduced to them during my New York time (Everyone should live in NYC at least once in their life).  So, i feel very cosmopolitan when I eat these.

They are very easy.  But in fairness, before I started making these using my food processor (the grating blade wheel), I lost a lot of knuckle skin when I was using a box grater.  But now with the magic of modern appliances, easy as can be.



I first started using the recipe found in "Joy of Cooking.  I made several additions and have something I really like.  Lots of little layers and surprising extras....

  • 2 Cups grated Russet potatoes
  • 1 cup grated Sweet Onion
  • 2 TBS grated Ginger Root
  • 3 eggs
  • Combine 3 TBS all-purpose flour
  • 2 TBS Not Your Grandmother's Herbes de Provence (My savory herb mix which contains garlic and lemon peel)
  • Add the flour/spices to the potato mixture and mix well
Shape it into 1/4-inch thick 3-inch diameter patties. Saute in 1/4 inch
or more hot fat (when I can, Bacon Fat, but usually Canola Oil. Turn and brown the second side until crisp. These are
usually served hot with:
Sour Cream and/or Applesauce
They are best, like all pancakes, served hot out of the pan. If you must
hold them until all the batter is cooked, place them on a rack above a
baking sheet in a 200 oven. Then serve them all at once after draining




I've even been known to enjoy these for Dinner!  But they deserve a spot in my top five breakfast!

2 comments:

  1. My Jewish friend Maxine delivers her latkes to us every December. What a treat. Yours look heavenly. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the inspiration. I had some potato sitting on my counter and not sure what to do with them. (just had mash potato a few nights ago and kind of wanted a change) This recipe is perfect for me! Thank you and have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

FMP