Thursday, December 6, 2012

Secret Ingredient... Sausage and Chicken and Sweet Potato Creamy Tomato Soup

Pin It Now!

Well, this was a surprise.  Pleasant surprise, and I am going to take full credit for the result despite what I thought was going to happen.

I had a completely different soup in mind when I started.  I had a recipe for a sausage and russet potato soup.  But I looked at my pantry (filled with those 29 cents a pound sweet potatoes I wrote about a few days ago) and decided to wing it.  Ended up about the only thing from the original recipe I used was the sausage (a nice kielbasa).  This wasn't even supposed to be a tomato soup.  I even changed it from a broth-y stew to a thick and creamy soup.

And it all worked GREAT!  A really loaded TOMATO SOUP!

A new Favorite (and the secret is the Cumin)!

Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe...


Here's what I did...


Surprise... Sausage and Chicken and Sweet Potato 

Creamy Tomato Soup



Ingredients
  • This is a Crock pot recipe Set your pot on low for 8-10 hours (or High for 4-5 hours)
  • 2 Cups Chicken Stock
  • 2 TBS Butter
  • 2 TBS Flour
  • 1 Medium Onion, Slice and quartered
  • 3 Medium Carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 2 Stalks Celery, Sliced
  • 2 Medium Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
  • 1 can (14.5 ounces) Diced Tomatoes
  • 2 TBS Italian Seasonings
  • 1 small can Tomato Paste
  • 1 TBS Cumin (the secret Ingredient, adds a rich sweetness to the soup)
  • 1 Pound Kielbasa sausage Sliced
  • 1 Package Cream Cheese
  • Meat from 1 Leg/Thigh Quarter of a Fully Cooked Rotisserie Chicken
  • To taste Salt and Pepper (Be careful and taste the soup, as the chicken is already seasoned. Do not over salt the soup. But it needed quite a bit of pepper)
  • 1 Stalk Green onion, sliced to garnish
Cooking Directions
  1. OK, Fire up your crock pot...
  2. Add the Chicken Stock and start it heating.
  3. Meanwhile, make a roux. In a large saute pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir constantly for 5 minutes, until the roux gets a slight nutty smell.
  4. Add the onions and stir for an additional 5 minutes until the onions soften.
  5. Add the carrots and celery and stir again for a couple of minutes.
  6. Add this mix to the chicken stock.
  7. Add the Sweet Potatoes, can of tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian and Cumin seasonings and the Sausage. Cover and leave alone for (Low) 8-10 hours or (High) 4-5 hours.
  8. 1 hour before serving, add the chicken and Cream Cheese.
  9. 10 minutes before serving, taste the soup. Add additional seasonings to taste. Mine did not need any salt, but I did add 5 or 6 turns of a pepper grinder.
  10. Garnish with fresh cut green onions
  11. Serve HOT and ENJOY!

I am starting to catch bits and pieces of sappy Holiday Movies...

If I did that kind of thing, I would make a Christmas wish for you all that any cooking experiments you try turn out so well.

Thick, Creamy, DELICIOUS, Hearty, Filling, Surprising and Unique... And did I mention DELICIOUS?

**************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Recipes for Soup, Chili or Chowder" (Now more than 52 and still growing)

Soup from Scratch is one of the great kitchen joys.  The house smells amazing and the soup warms to the bone.  From broth to chowder, vegetarian to loaded up chili... Even a great idea for a party (love the Potato Soup Bar idea).  Come take a look, sure to have something you might like to try.  All recipes have been tested and WORK!
*************************************************************************

So, I am pleased to add this as one of my growing list of "52 Uses For a Rotisserie Chicken"  (Now close to 100!)

MUCH more than a chicken sandwich.  From Scratch Pizza to Chinese Take Out recipes, Lots of Soups and Chili... Appetizers to Main Courses (Still can't find a dessert, but I am looking).  More than enough ideas for that store bought bird to shine with just a little extra work.  All recipes have been tested and WORK!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. This one looks awesome too, not sure which I want to try now.

    ReplyDelete

FMP